The Value of Networking: The Aftermath of the ProBlogger Love-In

Business PartyYesterday I blogged on Darren Rowse’s “Social Media Love-In” over at Problogger. In the aftermath of a few hours of clicking, I have a massive number of new social media connections in every field remotely related to mine.

Now, I thought about this because I remember the business culture of the 1970s and 1980s. I remember the notion of “networking parties” where a whole bunch of people in a given field would get together, attempt to drink and have fun, and furiously exchange business cards. Then they would go back to their offices the next day and give the stacks of cards to their secretaries, who would then file them. These parties would have about 50 people and be of a single field.

Let’s compare that to yesterday, where we had hundreds of people (if not thousands at this point, I haven’t gone back…my clicking finger is numb!) from related, but not the same fields, able to interact through social media systems that keep them sorted and searchable with no secretary or overhead. I made connections with people who span every part of what I do. I met people to get hired by, hire, start new projects with, make friends with, and learn from, all in the space of a few hours. All for the price of an internet connection and some clicking. We just have to do this again!

This is the power of social media. When it comes to building your writing career in new media, an opportunity like this can’t be passed up. Head over to Problogger and get in on the social media love, and you won’t regret it.

Who else made great connections from the love-in? Share some of your social media love stories for us!

13 thoughts on “The Value of Networking: The Aftermath of the ProBlogger Love-In

1. Phil

I second that. The Problogger Social Media Love-in was definitely very smart, enjoyable and worth it.

No hangover either. Nice meeting you over there. Ciao!

2. Max Forlani

Hi,

I’ve been a loyal reader of Darren’s extremely intresting blog, and sent him a mail one day:

“I understand by now that social media is important, but how to make friends? You can’t start spamming, now can you?”

And then this initiative came along. Great!

Sure, just like you said, most of them aren’t in my ‘niche’ (personal blogging or tips & tricks for a stay in Istanbul).
    But we’re only two days further, and I already discovered a bunch of nice blogs and got acquianted with people I probably would have never heard of without the Love-In.

Cheers,
    Max

3. Justin

Networking is a struggle for a lot of people, but to your point, it can be extremely beneficial for all parties involved. Especially now, with the internet as a forum, this effect is exponentially magnified. How do you become aware of these social gatherings in the the blogging community?

Justin

Justins last blog post..Writing Tips: Conflict

4. mixedbrains

I would have rather been at one of those 70’s parties I think 🙂

But now that I am married with kidsand don’t have any human friends, it’s nice to get a few more bots as friends.

Now if we could only do a social media World Love in to stop the corruption and greed of the governments in the world that is killing the planet and it’s people.. now that would blow any70’s party away.

Like you blog.Nice to Stumble upon it. Proflactic rocks. Gotta get that plugin.

5. thePuck

Hiya Justin! Generally, the way you find out is on microbloggers like http://twitter.com or http://plurk.com. I found out on both, because Darren is a friend on both. I then alerted others, as everyone else on Darren’s lists was doing, and they in turn alerted others, and so on. Then people like me start blogging on it, and it hits a bunch of services and subscribers, and they spread it. It’s social media in action, the “groundswell” effect. I would suggest getting on Twitter at least and starting to follow people in the industry.

6. thePuck

Heya, mixedbrains. Glad you liked my blog. I find your idea of a political and philosophical impact from social media isn’t that far off, I think. I will be starting a blog soon on social media philosophy, where I intend to address certain issues often neglected in the rush to make money or friends.

If your comments are any indication of your general interests, I hope you join my other readers and join me over there as well. Since I just got done moving, I won’t be starting it as soon as I’d like, but I will make an announcement here on thePuckWrites as well as across my presence (microbloggers and such).

7. mixedbrains

Yes. Def. And yes it’s hard to balance paying the bills and trying to make the world a better place.

Look foward to the new site.

8. thePuck

Hiya Max! (as everyone can see I am trying to get caught up, I just moved yesterday and am a bit behind on things)

The thing is, the niche is unimportant. What we find though social media is that people are essentially just people, not defined by their skills but extended by them. In today’s economy and world, each person has the opportunity to become a “firm” in and of themselves…and it is always good for firms to connect. I am really glad to have found people way outside my “niche”, because I can already do what I do…I need difference and variety in my business as well as my personal life (though I see little difference between the two).

Thanks for all the comments folks! Keep ’em coming!

9. thePuck

I’ve decided I will probably start the new blog, Social Media Philosophy, next week. Barring unforeseen circumstances, expect it by next Friday.

10. Suzy :)

Hey Puck!

Ditto! I was hitting a summer-time lull with all the socializing, until Problogger’s unexpected event and a earthquake shook things up a bit!

I’m wondering do you think social media sites will get more complex or extremely simple like Twitter?

I’m hopin’ the latter. 🙂

11. Pingback: Warning: Avoid these 7 Time Traps or your blog Will Fail - Guaranteed! » There’s a Blog in my Soup

12. Justin