Yesterday, Occupy Oakland was raided by police twice, first in the early morning, then later in the evening. Rubber bullets, tear gas, and “flashbangs”, concussive grenades, were used against peaceful protesters in a display of what can only be called police state intimidation.
An Iraq vet, a marine named Scott Olsen, was injured by a rubber bullet or possibly a tear-gas cannister in this brutal attack, though the Oakland PD claims they did not use them, and is in critical condition with a cracked skull and brain swelling. When a small group of protesters went to his aid, the police fired a flashbang (again, which they refuse they used, yet can clearly be shown in this video) into the group attempting to help the injured marine.
His name is Scott Olsen. Remember him when you think it’s really not that bad, that it can’t happen here, that because we’re America we just don’t do this sort of thing.
His name is Scott Olsen. Remember.
- Scott Olsen, Iraq War Veteran, Injured By Police During ‘Occupy Oakland’ Protest (huffingtonpost.com)
- Iraq Veteran Scott Olsen Critically-Injured at Occupy Oakland Raid (sfist.com)
- This Veteran Could Be The First Person To Die At A Wall Street Protest (businessinsider.com)
- BREAKING NEWS: Police draw first blood: Scott Olsen in critical condition #OWS (finaloutlaw.com)
- Scott Olsen, Iraq war vet and Oakland occupier, in critical condition (shortformblog.tumblr.com)